Monday 21 May 2012

Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell


Winter's Bone: A NovelWinter's Bone: A Novel by Daniel Woodrell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I heard good things about the movie that is based on this book, so I wanted to watch the movie. But I wanted to read the book first because I find if I read a book after watching the movie I can't really enjoy the book.

Anyways. What do I think about the book?

I really enjoyed the overall story, Ree Is a strong 16 year old, Having to deal with things 16 year olds shouldn't have to deal with. Her father has put the house and land they own up as bail and skipped town. He hasn't been seen since and his court case is next week. If he doesn't turn up at court Ree, her mother ---who has sunk into a terrible depression and does nothing but sit in a chair and stare all day and night.--- and her two brother's Sonny and Harold will lose everything and be left to survive with nothing. Ree has to hunt him down and take him to the police dead or alive to make certain they don't lose the roof over their heads. It's a mighty harsh path she chooses to take but it's her only option, she has no other choice. She must find her father.
It's a sad story and we see terrible things, terrible people and a terrible life they seem to live. But it also shows strength of character especially in Ree and How people can step forward and help whether it means they get caught up in your trouble or not.

I really did like this story but I wasn't too keen on they way it was written. I didn't understand what it was that I didn't like at first but I read a few reviews and after reading time and time again that it was written poetically, I figured that may be my problem, I am not one for the complicated poetry. Call me uneducated if you wish but I just don't get poetry. Never have and don't think I ever will.

I still recommend this book as everyone should take something from Ree's story. Everyone should try for even a smidgen of Ree's strength.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: Unspoken Vow (Steele Brothers #2) by Eden Finley

Author: Eden Finley Book: Unspoken Vow Series: Steele Brothers (#2) Genre: MM Romance 𝙃𝙚’𝙨 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙄 𝙬𝙖...