Wednesday 2 May 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L.James

Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I picked this book up because the huge hype about it intrigued me. Previous books that have been raved about I have avoided for a long time thinking they will no doubt be a disappointment. But recently I gave in to two other hyped about series and fell in love with them, so I thought I would believe the hype over this trilogy too. I am so glad I did.
This book belongs in the erotica genre. One of the main characters are heavily involved in the BDSM world. It's very steamy and kinky. I am not ashamed to say I loved every page of it. ;)
The only thing that bugged me was the fact that the author used words I had never heard of before, I was glad I was reading this on a kindle because I had the ability to use the built in dictionary when I came across an unusual word, which was quite often. The main characters where meant to be in their 20's, I am in my late 20's and no twenty-something year old that I know including myself, would use half of those 'Unusual words'. There are many other words that meant the same thing, I felt the author was just... dare I say 'showing off'?! Now I may be less educated then the MC as I did not attend university like her but I don't believe that she would use words like that on such a regular basis, English Lit student or not.
I think the title would of been more fitting if it was 'Fifty Shades of Fucked up" as one of the characters referred to themselves as that a few times throughout the book, quite rightly so too. But I guess some people in stores may find that an offensive title and it would be hidden on high up/out of sight shelves and not sell well.
Don't get me wrong I still love the book --I gave it 5 stars for crying out loud-- and will be moving straight onto "Fifty Shades Darker" regardless of the irritating unneeded words. I love the main characters and can't wait to find out whats going to happen to Ana and Christian next. I definitely recommend this as long as you are not scared of floggers and cable ties.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: Unspoken Vow (Steele Brothers #2) by Eden Finley

Author: Eden Finley Book: Unspoken Vow Series: Steele Brothers (#2) Genre: MM Romance 𝙃𝙚’𝙨 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙄 𝙬𝙖...