Saturday 18 June 2011

Lover Unleashed By J R. Ward

Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9)Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood #9) by J.R. Ward

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

***********This may contain SPOILERS***********
Sorry it's such a long review, but there was just so much to discuss about it. LOL
 
Wow. where do I start? This is yet another amazing installment for the Black Dagger Brotherhood series.

I was meant to be reading this with two friends of mine. I managed to stay on track for a day but I just can't read only a few chapters at a time. I don't know how anyone can. If I pick a book up and enjoy it, I have to finish it. Honestly that book goes everywhere with me until I have turned that last page. When my husband catches me with the book tucked under my arm or in my hand whilst cooking with the other, he calls me crazy.. my only response is "My name is Aimie and I'm a Book addict" :P
So ladies, I'm sorry I didn't have the will power to keep at pace with you both. 

Although this is Payne and Manny's story I felt it wasn't as completely theirs as previous books are the main couples. They didn't feature as the main couple, it was more a shared book between Payne and Manny; Vishous and Jane; and Xcor and his Band of Bastards. Qhuinn and Blay where also featured a great deal which has got me extremely concerned about future storyline's which I will get to later.

One thing missing from this book was Lesser and Omega stuff, we still had the lesser fights and the BDB guys kicking ass. But we didn't get the POV from Mr X or Mr O or whoever is the newest leader of those guys. We didn't hear about the Omega's reaction to Lash's death either,  (that could of been in Lover Mine and I just can't remember it, But I don't think it was there either) Actually did Lash die? I can't remember. With there being no Lesser POV we don't get to know anything about Qhuinn's brother who Lash had kept on ice. Will he ever be found? In previous books I tended to skim through the Lesser POV parts but with them totally non-existent here in Lover Unleashed I actually missed them a little. I never thought I would say that, But I did.

The Lesser's where replaced by Xcor and his Band of Bastards, whom I find very  interesting. As much as he seems like a mean bastard, His reaction after Payne told him the truth about the Bloodletter was honorable and sweet. His soldier Throe, seems to be a nice guy in a bad gang. He has a conscience and I think he will be Xcor's reason of failure to take Wrath's throne. Well I am bloody hoping Xcor doesn't take Wrath's throne.

Another thing J.R. Ward didn't hit on in this book which the last book seemed to be leading to was Mhurder. A member of the Brotherhood whom everyone thinks is dead having been driven crazy after Xhex had been captured many years ago. he was the "Ghost" that the Ghost hunters in Lover Mine where investigating. It was a huge part of lover mine and at the very end we found out it was him. In this book his name was mentioned at one point, When Vishous was thinking about feeling empty without Jane in his life. "The loss of shellan can make you crazy." I thought ah here we go, we are going to get to see him, but Nope. Nothing.

J.R. Ward didn't cut the storyline's off at intense moments and take you elsewhere leaving you in suspense and skimming to get back to that cliffhanger like she did in other books. Which I was glad of, it all ran smoothly and she seemed to leave at the right points and come back perfectly too.

Payne and Manny are a great couple. Manny is such a funny smart-ass, he fits in perfectly with the BDB gang. I guessed he was a halfbreed -- without knowing -- pretty early on since he was having that strong dark spicy scent and the mating  feelings of possession etc. When anyone ever mentioned that he was "only a human." I found myself chanting "No he's not" in a sing song tone. LOL

Payne's healing/regeneration power seems pretty good. I'm dying to find out where J.R. Ward is going to take us with this. She could heal Wrath's blindness or Mary (I can't remember what is wrong with Mary --I will have to go back and start from the beginning with Dark Lover-- but I am certain there is something, infertility maybe?) I don't think she will be able to bring Jane back from being a ghost. But that would be great if she could so that she and V could have a baby. Maybe she could get rid of Z's slave marks. Regenerate Phury's leg.. The possibilities are endless.

My husband gave me some strange looks when I was LOL-ing to myself. I'd be like oh Butch just said something funny, and I'd have to read him the conversation I was laughing at. I did that many times throughout this book.
One comment from Butch to V remains in my mind even now. I am still giggling just thinking about it.
"All I see are ankles and wrists -- and FYI, you're pulling a Miley- frickin' -Cyrus with that belly flash. Not attractive."
V's response was just as good of course "Fuck off. I can't help it that you're a god-damn midget."
I love Butch and V banter.

Getting to see Vishous fall apart was good. It showed that even though he's had his "Happy Ever After" with Jane. Life still goes on and shit happens, even to the brother's. V is one of my favourite's so it was nice to see him and his dirty perverted mind again.


My heart breaks for Qhuinn and Blaylock. Honestly they need their heads banging together and I was Oh so willing to do it many times during this book. I have a REALLY REALLY bad feeling that we are not going to get the Qhuinn and Blay happy ever after story we want though. I have a horrible feeling that in Tohr's book --- which JR informed us is next and called Lover Reborn--- Layla will come into her needing period and Qhuinn being his gorgeous gentlemanly self will offer to help her and serve her need. Which is where his "vision" of the girl he thinks is his and Layla's daughter comes into things. It's so obvious and heart breaking. Then when she ends up pregnant he's going to have to care for her and be with her or the brothers will think he's a dick. Damn that's so not fair and Blay will stay with Sax thinking Qhuinn and Layla are happy in love, they will all be miserable and I will be tearing my hair out... A good outcome would be that Blay and Qhuinn get together and Layla becomes a surrogate for them but as if that would happen. That's just too good to be true.

So as much as I can't wait to see Tohr's story, I'm kinda dreading it. I'll have the kleenex ready and waiting, I have a feeling I'm going to need them. Alot..






View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: Unspoken Vow (Steele Brothers #2) by Eden Finley

Author: Eden Finley Book: Unspoken Vow Series: Steele Brothers (#2) Genre: MM Romance 𝙃𝙚’𝙨 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙄 𝙬𝙖...