Saturday 17 July 2010

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (published in the UK as Cross Stitch) is the first in a series of novels (currently seven) by Diana Gabaldon.
My sister recommended Cross Stitch to me saying "it took me a while to get into it, I had to be in the mood. But I loved it by the time i was halfway through." So I bought this book and it was sat on my 'to read' pile for months, I kept picking it up and then before opening it putting it down again to read something else. When I finally did pick this up I couldn't figure out why my sister found it hard to get into. I was initially worried because I had heard there was alot of scottish dialogue and I thought i'd be reading sentences over again and again to figure out what was being said. Thankfully that wasn't the case. I did find after I had finished I kept accidentally speaking with that scottish accent. I have a friend who loves accents she would of loved talking to me then.

Outlander is an amazing combination of mythology, love, war and Scottish history. If you love your history like me, It's a must read!


Outlander:
The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon--when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach--an "outlander"--in a Scotland torn by war and raiding Highland clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.  Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into intrigues and dangers that may threaten her life...and shatter her heart. For here she meets James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, and becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire...and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

          UK cover version                                                                                     US cover version


















                                                                                    

No comments:

Review: Unspoken Vow (Steele Brothers #2) by Eden Finley

Author: Eden Finley Book: Unspoken Vow Series: Steele Brothers (#2) Genre: MM Romance 𝙃𝙚’𝙨 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙄 𝙬𝙖...